Table of Contents
Introduction to Our EZ Tip Calculator
Our EZ Tip Calculator is designed to take all the work out of calculating a tip. It works great on mobile phones, tablets, laptops, or your desktop. Just enter the bill amount and the tip percentage you want to leave. The calculator does the rest! Tipping made easy with our EZ Tip Calculator.
Do you need to leave a tip? Check out our tip guides. We have tipping guides for almost every tipping situation, worldwide.
Tips or gratuities started as a reward for good service in the service industry. With time, the number of people you are expected to tip has grown. Tips have become an important part of worker earnings in some industries. Our tipping guides are designed to simplify tipping and let you understand the real cost of a service. It’s not always just the menu price plus tax! While tips are often associated with the United States, tips are expected in many other countries around the world. We designed this site to help you tip confidently, worldwide.
How To Calculate Your Tip Amount
Our EZ Tip Calculator is easy to use:
First, enter the total amount of your bill.
Next, enter your preferred tip percentage.
That’s it! The EZ Tip Calculator does the rest and shows the tip you need to leave at the bottom. If only everything were so easy!
Want to change the default settings? That’s easy too. You can type your numbers in or use the arrows to increase or decrease them.
The EZ Tip Calculator comes with example settings of a $20 bill amount and a 15% tip percentage amount. This example gives a tip amount of $4.50. Adjust this to fit your own bill and tip preferences.
Use Our EZ Tip Calculator
To use our EZ Tip Calculator, enter your own bill amount and preferred tip percentage in the boxes below. You can either type in your numbers or use the arrows that appear when you hover over the box to adjust the numbers up or down. The total tip amount will be calculated automatically and shown below. Easy! Note: If the calculator hasn’t appeared below yet, just wait a couple seconds more.
How To Easily Calculate The Tip In Your Head?
Don’t want to use our EZ Tip Calculator above? If you do, you’ve gone too far. If you want to learn how to easily calculate a tip in your head, read on!
Do you want to calculate the tip in your head instead of using our EZ Tip Calculator? While not as ‘easy’ it’s not too difficult. To do this we are going to teach you the ‘moving the decimal’ tip calculation method which we detail below.
Remember that in our example that the bill amount was $20 and the percentage tip we wanted to leave was 15%? To use the ‘moving the decimal’ method, we are going to break the tip calculation into two parts.
First, we will calculate what a 10% tip on $20 would be. You probably know that $20 can also be written as $20.0 or $20.00. Notice the decimal point? That’s key to the ‘moving the decimal’ method of tip calculation. To find 10% of $20.0, we will move the decimal point one place to the left. This makes $20.0 into $2.00. Easy, right? If you wanted to leave a 10% tip, you have your answer! Tip $2.
But remember that we wanted to tip 15%, not 10%. This is where the second part comes in.
Next, we will calculate the other 5% to answer the question of what a 15% tip should be. We know that a 10% tip on $20 is $2. How do you find the other 5%? What we will do is divide the $2 (the 10% tip amount that we already found) by 2. $2 divided by 2 is $1.00. This $1.00 represents the other 5% tip portion.
Now that we know that 10% of $20 is $2 and 5% of $20 is $1 all we have to do is add the two together to calculate the 15% tip. $2 + $1 = $3. That means that a 15% tip on a $20 bill is $3.
That’s it! You now know how to calculate a tip in your head.
If you want to leave a 20% tip, you would just double the 10% tip amount that you found using the ‘move the decimal method’. It’s not too difficult once you get the hang of it!