Introduction to Panera
Panera Bread Company is the #1 chain of bakery-café fast-casual restaurants in the United States and Canada. Besides Panera, they also operate Au Bon Pain and the Saint Louis Bread Company. They’ve grown significantly since Ken and Lisa Rosenthal founded the Saint Louis Bread Company in Kirkwood, Missouri in 1987. Today they have more than 2000 locations and 52,000 employees serving delicious bakery items, pasta, sandwiches, salads, soups, and sides with a smile.
Panera was one of the first major chains to commit to using free-range eggs while expanding their selection of plant-based protein options. After this major commitment, they followed up the next year with a 100% GMO-free and artificial preservative-free menu. They
Besides healthy, ethical food offerings, Panera contributes food directly to charity every day. Each year, over $100 million dollars worth of baked goods and bread are donated to charity.
Introduction to Apple Pay
Apple Pay is an easy-to-use, contactless payment method that works with your Apple devices like your Apple Watch and iPhone. You can use it in person at stores, through apps, or on the web. It’s a secure, safe way to make your payments. Gone are the days of waiting for change or having to use a credit card reader that thousands of other dirty cards have already been in. Apple Pay: A modern payment method for the modern world.
But does Panera have Apple Pay?
Does Panera Accept Apple Pay?
Yes, Panera takes Apple Pay in their restaurants and through their Panera Bread app for mobile phones! Interestingly, Panera Bread was one of the first restaurant chains to support contactless payments using Apple Pay all the way back in 2014.
Here is the press release from Panera in September 2014 confirming that they support Apple Pay in their restaurants.
How Do You Use Apple Pay At Panera?
Ready to order at Panera using Apple Pay? First, have you set up Apple Pay on your iPhone or Apple Watch? If you already have set it up, you can skip to the next section; otherwise, read on.
How To Setup Apple Pay on Your iPhone or Apple Watch
To set up Apple Pay on your iPhone, go to the ‘Settings’ section and select ‘Wallet & Apple Pay’. Next, select ‘Add Card’. Press ‘Continue’ and select the payment type you want to use. Add your credit card or debit card details by either holding your iPhone over your credit card until it successfully reads your credit card numbers, or you can enter the credit card details manually. Your choice. Now you’ll need to agree to Apple’s terms and conditions and complete any required credit card verification steps. After this, your card will be in your Apple Wallet and ready to use using Apple Pay.
To set up Apple Pay on your Apple Watch, you will need to use your linked iPhone. Using your linked iPhone, open your ‘Apple Watch’ app. Next, tap ‘Wallet & Apple Pay’. Now, tap ‘Add Card’ and follow the instructions to add your preferred credit card to your Apple Watch’s Apple Pay.
Note: Some retailers have limits on how much you can spend using a contactless payment method such as Apple Pay. Generally, a payment over this limit will go through, but the clerk will either check your ID or ask for a signature. Rarely, you’ll be asked to pay with a physical credit card or cash.
How To Use Apple Pay At Panera With Your iPhone
If you’re using an iPhone to pay with Apple Pay at Panera, follow these steps to pay the cashier:
- First, double-click on your iPhone’s right side button.
- Next, look at your iPhone’s screen if you’re using Face ID, put your finger on the home sensor if you’re using Touch ID, or enter your passcode.
- Finally, hold your iPhone over the contactless payment reader, which is the machine you’d normally put your credit card into. Keep holding it until you hear a ping, see a green checkmark on the payment reader, or see a checkmark plus the word ‘Done’ on your iPhone’s screen. That’s it!
How To Use Apple Pay at Panera With Your Apple Watch
If you’re using an Apple Watch to pay with Apple Pay at Panera, follow these steps to pay the cashier:
- First, double-tap the side button on the right of the dial.
- Next, enter your passcode if prompted.
- Finally, hold your Apple Watch over the contactless payment reader until the payment is complete. That’s it!
How To Use Apple Pay With Panera’s Mobile App
- Open the Panera app, sign in or create a new account, and choose your store location.
- Pick your food and add it to your cart.
- Go to your shopping cart, review your items, and continue to payment.
- Choose your pickup options and choose Apple Pay as your payment method.
- Enjoy your food!