Are you shopping for groceries at Publix? Apple Pay is a safe, convenient way to pay at stores that accept it as a payment method. But does Publix take Apple Pay? This article answers the question “Does Publix take Apple Pay?” and has tips to make the most out of Apple Pay.
What Is Apple Pay?
Apple Pay is an easy-to-use, mobile payment system that works with iOS mobile devices like your iPhone, Apple Watch, and iPad. You can think of Apple Pay as transforming your physical Mastercard, Visa, American Express, Discover, and other credit/debit cards into a contactless card stored in your mobile wallet. Your iPhone or Apple Watch then becomes a contactless credit card. Apple Pay is a secure mobile payment option that you can use to pay inside stores, through apps, or on the web.
Gone are the days of waiting for change or putting your card inside a dirty credit card reader. Instead, leave your wallet and home and use your smartphone’s new, contactless payment option! Just hold your Apple device over the near field communications (NFC payments) card reader at the register for a contactless payment experience. Apple Pay provides Publix customers with a seamless one-tap checkout experience that customers love.
What Is Publix?
Publix is an employee-owned supermarket chain based in Winter Haven, Florida. They sell high-quality fresh produce, quick meals, organic foods, vegetables, meat, seafood, deli items, baked goods, dairy products, snacks, frozen foods, bulk foods, everyday household items, general merchandise, wine, beer, and spirits. Publix operates 1,286 supermarkets in seven Southeastern states, employs 225,000 people, and has convenient in-store pharmacies.
Answered: Does Publix Take Apple Pay? Yes!
Yes, Publix takes Apple Pay as a payment method at their supermarkets and Publix GreenWise Markets. So, the next time you’re shopping for groceries at your local Publix, check out with Apple Pay!
As part of a partnership between Instacart and Publix, you can also use Apple Pay for Publix delivery and curbside pickup orders.
If you want to save money on your groceries, check out your local Publix’s weekly ad, available on their website or through the Publix mobile app. Each weekly ad has special offers, digital coupons, extra savings, recipes, new items, and more.
To save even more money, consider becoming a Club Publix member. Membership in their loyalty program is free, and you will receive exclusive digital coupons, receive notifications for BOGOs, exclusive perks, and a free treat on your birthday. You can access your Club Publix membership card through the Publix App, available on the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store.
What Other Payment Methods Does Publix Accept?
What other payment options do Publix stores take? Below is a list of the forms of payment, including four types of credit cards and three mobile pay options, accepted at your local Publix supermarket.
Payment Methods Accepted at Publix
- Apple Pay, Google Pay/Android Pay, and Samsung Pay (mobile payment solutions)
- Apple Card
- Publix Scan: This zero-touch checkout app lets you scan and pay for your food entirely through the app! That means you don’t have to wait in a checkout line. New members will receive a digital coupon for $5 off their first purchase through the app.
- Visa credit cards
- Master card credit cards
- Discover credit cards
- American Express (Amex) credit cards
- Debit cards (Visa, Mastercard, ATM cards)
- EBT Cards (also known as ‘Electronic Benefits Transfer’, ‘SNAP benefits’, or ‘food stamps’).
- Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Benefits (at participating locations)
- Prepaid cards
- Publix Gift Cards
- Local pre-printed personal checks with photo ID.
Tip: When paying with a credit or debit card, insert your chip card into the card reader rather than sliding the magnetic strip.
Is Apple Pay Accepted Everywhere?
Apple Pay works at more than 2.5 million retail locations in the United States, covering 85% of all US merchants. Retailers that accept Apple Pay include Publix, other grocery stores, big-box locations, warehouse clubs, restaurants, pharmacies, gas stations, and many mobile apps. That said, 15% of stores, including major retailers like Walmart, still don’t accept Apple Pay. Unfortunately, even though Apple Pay makes customers’ trips to the store more convenient, some still don’t accept Apple Pay. How do you know if your favorite stores take Apple Pay?
How can you check if a grocery store takes Apple Pay?
Finding out if a grocery store accepts Apple Pay can be a challenge. You could ask the cashier, speak to customer service, or search online, but it’s still a hassle. Luckily, Apple makes it easy to find out what grocers accept Apple Pay.
To find out if a supermarket takes Apple Pay, open the Apple Maps app on your iPhone. Next, search for the store location and scroll down to the “Useful to Know” section below the store’s website address. If you see the Apple Pay logo or a checkmark next to “Accepts Apple Pay,” then you know that the store accepts Apple Pay!
What grocery stores take Apple Pay?
While Apple users love Apple Pay, not every grocery store accepts it as a payment method. Here is a list of different grocery stores that take Apple Pay: Albertsons, Aldi, Costco, Cub Foods, Family Dollar, Food Lion, FoodMaxx, Giant Eagle, Hy-Vee, Instacart, Lucky Supermarkets, Meijer, Publix, QFC, Safeway, Sam’s Club, Shaw’s, Sprouts, Stop and Shop, Trader Joe’s, United Supermarkets, Wegmans, Winn-Dixie, and Whole Foods Market.
How Do You Use Apple Pay At Publix?
Are you ready to check out at a Publix supermarket with Apple Pay? First, have you set up Apple Pay on your iPhone or Apple Watch? If you have already completed the (quick) setup, you can skip to the later section; otherwise, read on.
How To Setup Apple Pay on Your iPhone or Apple Watch
To set up Apple Pay on your iPhone, go to the ‘Settings’ section and select ‘Wallet & Apple Pay.’
- Next, select ‘Add Card.’ Press ‘Continue’ and select the payment type you want to use. Add your credit card or debit card’s information by either holding your iPhone’s camera over your credit card until it successfully reads your credit card numbers, or you can enter the credit card details manually. Your choice.
- Now, agree to Apple’s terms and complete any required credit card verification steps.
- Your card will now be in your Apple Wallet App, and you are ready to use Apple Pay at the register.
To set up Apple Pay on your Apple Watch, you will need to use your linked iPhone to complete the process, so have it handy.
- Using your linked iPhone, open your ‘Apple Watch’ App.
- Next, tap ‘Wallet & Apple Pay.’
- Now, tap ‘Add Card’ and follow the instructions to add your preferred credit card to your Apple Watch’s Apple Pay.
iPhone? How To Use Apple Pay Inside Publix
If you’re using an iPhone to pay for a purchase with Apple Pay at Publix, follow these steps:
- First, double-click on your iPhone’s right side button.
- Next, look at your iPhone’s screen if you’re using Face ID, put your finger on the home sensor if you’re using Touch ID, or enter your passcode.
- Finally, hold your iPhone over the contactless point of sale reader, which is the machine you’d normally put your credit card inside. Keep holding it until you hear a ping, see a green checkmark on the payment reader, or see a checkmark plus the word ‘Done’ on your iPhone’s screen. After taking your receipt, you’re free to leave!
Apple Watch? How To Use Apple Pay Inside Publix
To complete a transaction at a Publix location using your Apple Watch, follow these steps:
- First, double-tap the side button on the right of the dial.
- Next, enter your passcode if prompted.
- Finally, hold your Apple Watch over the contactless payment reader until the payment is complete. Now, take your receipt and head home!