Table of Contents
Are you shopping for groceries at Whole Foods? Apple Pay is a safe, convenient way to pay at stores that accept it as a payment method. But does Whole Foods take Apple Pay? This article answers the question “Does Whole Foods take Apple Pay?” and has tips to make the most out of Apple Pay.
What Is Apple Pay?
Apple Pay is an easy-to-use, mobile payment system that works with iOS mobile devices like your iPhone, Apple Watch, and iPad. You can think of Apple Pay as transforming your physical Mastercard, Visa, American Express, Discover, and other credit/debit cards into a contactless card stored in your mobile wallet. Your iPhone or Apple Watch then becomes a contactless credit card. Apple Pay is a safe, secure way to pay inside stores, through apps, or on the web.
Gone are the days of waiting for change or putting your card inside a dirty credit card reader. Instead, leave your wallet and home and use your smartphone’s new, contactless payment option! Just hold your Apple device over an NFC-enabled card reader at the register for a contactless payment experience. NFC (near field communication) technology enables your phone to make mobile payments. Apple Pay provides an efficient shopping experience that customers love.
What Is Whole Foods?
Whole Foods is an Amazon-owned supermarket chain headquartered in Austin, Texas, that offers in-store shopping, curbside pickup, and grocery delivery. They sell high-quality fresh produce, quick meals, organic food, vegetables, meat, seafood, deli items, baked goods, dairy products, snacks, frozen foods, everyday household items, tools, clothes, beer, wine, and liquor. They have 500 grocery stores, 91,000 employees, and operate in three countries.
But does Whole Foods accept Apple Pay?
Answered: Does Whole Foods Take Apple Pay? Yes!
Yes, Whole Foods takes Apple Pay as a payment method at all of their locations. Whole Foods Market began accepting mobile payments back in 2014. So, the next time you’re shopping for groceries at your local Whole Foods supermarket, check out using Apple Pay!
If you want to save money on your groceries, check out your local Whole Foods weekly ad, available on their website or through the Whole Foods Market mobile app. Each weekly ad features Prime member deals, store sales, new products, special offers, and more. Prime members receive an extra 10% off storewide sales, free curbside pickup, and free grocery delivery. Amazon Prime Rewards Visa cardholders earn 5% back on every purchase at the store!
The Whole Foods Market app is through the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store.
What Other Payment Methods Does Whole Foods Accept?
What other payment options does Whole Foods accept? Below is a list of the forms of payment, including four types of major credit cards and three contactless payment options that you can use at your local Whole Foods store.
Payment Methods Accepted at Whole Foods
The following payment methods are accepted at Whole Foods stores:
- Apple Pay, Google Pay/Android Pay, and Samsung Pay (Contactless Payment Methods)
- Apple Card
- Visa credit cards
- Master card credit cards
- Discover credit cards
- American Express (Amex) credit cards
- Debit cards (Visa, Mastercard, ATM cards)
- EBT Cards (also known as ‘Electronic Benefits Transfer,’ ‘SNAP benefits,’ ‘link cards,’ or ‘electronic food stamps’)
- Prepaid cards
- Whole Foods Market Gift Cards
As confirmed by Whole Foods, personal checks are not accepted at any of their stores:
Hi Arianna, thanks for asking! None of our stores accept personal checks. We apologize for any inconvenience. By accepting only electronic payments and cash, we reduce wait times at our registers, as the register processes these payments quicker.
— Whole Foods Market (@WholeFoods) January 4, 2019
Is Apple Pay Accepted Everywhere?
Apple Pay works at more than 2.5 million retail locations in the United States, covering 85% of all US merchants. Retailers that accept Apple Pay include Whole Foods and many grocery stores, big-box stores, warehouse clubs, merchants, restaurants, drug stores, gas stations, and mobile apps. That said, 15% of stores, including major retailers like Walmart, still don’t accept Apple Pay. Unfortunately, even though Apple Pay improves the checkout for shoppers, some stores still don’t take it for payment. How do you know if your favorite stores accept Apple Pay?
How can you check if a grocery store takes Apple Pay?
Finding out if a grocery store accepts Apple Pay can be a challenge. You could ask the cashier, speak to customer service, or search online, but it’s still a hassle. Luckily, Apple makes it easy to find out what grocers accept Apple Pay.
To find out if a supermarket takes Apple Pay, open the Apple Maps app on your iPhone. Next, search for the store location and scroll down to the “Useful to Know” section below the store’s website address. If you see the Apple Pay logo or a checkmark next to “Accepts Apple Pay,” then you know that the store accepts Apple Pay!
What grocery stores take Apple Pay?
While Apple users love Apple Pay, not every grocery store accepts contactless pay. Here is a list of different grocery stores that take Apple Pay: Acme Markets, Albertsons, Aldi, BJ’s Wholesale Club, Costco, Cub Foods, Family Dollar, Food Lion, FoodMaxx, Giant Eagle, Hannaford, Hy-Vee, Instacart, Jewel-Osco, Lucky Supermarkets, Meijer, Publix, QFC, Raley’s, Randalls, Safeway, Sam’s Club, Shaw’s, Schnucks, Sprouts, Star Market, Stop and Shop, Tom Thumb, Trader Joe’s, United Supermarkets, Von’s, Wegmans, Winn-Dixie, and Whole Foods Market.
How Do You Use Apple Pay At Whole Foods?
Are you ready to check out at a Whole Foods store with Apple Pay? First, have you set up Apple Pay on your iPhone or Apple Watch? If you have already completed the (quick) setup, you can skip to the later section; otherwise, read on.
How To Setup Apple Pay on Your iPhone or Apple Watch
To set up Apple Pay on your iPhone, go to the ‘Settings’ section and select ‘Wallet & Apple Pay.’
- Next, select ‘Add Card.’ Press ‘Continue’ and select the payment type you want to use. Add your credit card or debit card information by either holding your iPhone’s camera over your credit card until it successfully reads your credit card numbers, or you can enter the credit card details manually. Your choice.
- Now, agree to Apple’s terms and complete any required credit card verification steps.
- Your card will now be in your Apple Wallet App, and you are ready to use Apple Pay at the register.
To set up Apple Pay on your Apple Watch, you will need to use your linked iPhone to complete the process, so have it handy.
- Using your linked iPhone, open your ‘Apple Watch’ App.
- Next, tap ‘Wallet & Apple Pay.’
- Now, tap ‘Add Card’ and follow the instructions to add your preferred credit card to your Apple Watch’s digital wallet.
- Your Apple Watch is now ready to make contactless mobile payments!
iPhone? How To Use Apple Pay Inside Whole Foods
If you’re using an iPhone to pay for a purchase with Apple Pay at Whole Foods, follow these steps:
- First, double-click on your iPhone’s right side button.
- Next, look at your iPhone’s screen if you’re using Face ID, put your finger on the home sensor if you’re using Touch ID, or enter your passcode.
- Finally, hold your iPhone over the NFC-enabled card payment terminal, which is the machine you’d normally put your credit card inside. Keep holding it until you hear a ping, see a green checkmark on the payment reader, or see a checkmark plus the word ‘Done’ on your iPhone’s screen. After taking your receipt, you’re free to leave!
Apple Watch? How To Use Apple Pay Inside Whole Foods
To complete a transaction at a Whole Foods location using your Apple Watch, follow these steps:
- First, double-tap the side button on the right of the dial.
- Next, enter your passcode if prompted.
- Finally, hold your Apple Watch over the contactless payment reader until the payment is complete. Now, take your receipt and head home!