Walgreens is the second-largest American drugstore chain with more than 9000 Walgreens locations and 225,000 employees. They serve more than 8 million customers daily, which isn’t surprising since 78% of the population lives within 5 miles of a Walgreens pharmacy! Whether you want to fill a prescription, explore the health and beauty section, or buy some snacks, Walgreens is there for you. But does Walgreens take Apple Pay?
What Is Apple Pay?
Apple Pay is an easy-to-use, mobile payment system that works with iOS mobile devices like your iPhone, Apple Watch, and iPad. You can think of Apple Pay as transforming your physical Mastercard, Visa, American Express, Discover, and other credit/debit cards into a contactless card stored in your mobile wallet app. Your iPhone or Apple Watch then becomes a contactless credit card. Apple Pay is a safe, secure way to pay inside stores, through apps, or on the web.
Gone are the days of waiting for change or putting your card inside a dirty credit card reader. Instead, leave your wallet and home and use your smartphone’s new, contactless payment option! Just hold your Apple device over an NFC-enabled card reader at the register for a contactless payment experience. NFC (near field communication) technology enables your phone to make mobile payments. Apple Pay provides an efficient shopping experience that customers love.
But does Walgreens accept Apple Pay for store purchases?
Answered: Does Walgreens Take Apple Pay?
Yes, Walgreens takes Apple Pay as a payment method in-store, at their pharmacy drive-thru, and through the Walgreens mobile app! If you want to spend your MyWalgreens Rewards, the Walgreens Balance Rewards card works with Apple Pay too!
Here is confirmation straight from Walgreens that they take Apple Pay:
Tip: If you use your Apple Card with Apple Pay, Walgreens offers 3% daily cash! They are the only retail pharmacy in the United States to offer 3% daily cash.
What Other Payment Methods Does Walgreens Accept?
What other payment options does Walgreens accept? Below is a list of the forms of payment, including four types of major credit cards and three contactless payment options that you can use at your local Walgreens pharmacy.
Payment Methods Accepted at Whole Foods
The following payment methods are accepted at Whole Foods stores:
- Apple Pay, Google Pay/Android Pay, and Samsung Pay (Contactless Payment Methods)
- Apple Card
- Visa credit cards
- Master card credit cards
- Discover credit cards
- American Express (Amex) credit cards
- Debit cards (Visa, Mastercard, ATM cards)
- EBT Cards (at participating locations)
- Prepaid cards
- Walgreens Gift Cards
- Local pre-printed personal checks with photo ID.
Is Apple Pay Accepted Everywhere?
Apple Pay works at more than 2.5 million retail locations in the United States, covering 85% of all US merchants. Retailers that accept Apple Pay include Walgreens and many pharmacies, grocery stores, big-box stores, warehouse clubs, merchants, restaurants, drug stores, gas stations, and mobile apps. That said, 15% of stores, including major retailers like Walmart, still don’t accept Apple Pay. Unfortunately, even though Apple Pay improves the checkout experience for shoppers, some pharmacies still don’t take it for payment. How do you know if your favorite pharmacy accepts Apple Pay?
How can you check if a pharmacy takes Apple Pay?
Finding out if a pharmacy accepts Apple Pay can be a challenge. You could ask the cashier, speak to customer service, or search online, but it’s still a hassle. Luckily, Apple makes it easy to find out what pharmacies accept Apple Pay.
To find out if a pharmacy takes Apple Pay, open the Apple Maps app on your iPhone. Next, search for the store location and scroll down to the “Useful to Know” section below the store’s website address. If you see the Apple Pay logo or a checkmark next to “Accepts Apple Pay,” then you know that the pharmacy accepts Apple Pay!
How Do You Use Apple Pay At Walgreens?
Ready to check out with Apple Pay at Walgreens in-store, at their drive-thru, or using the Walgreens App? First, have you set up Apple Pay on your iPhone or Apple Watch? If you already have set it up, you can skip to the next section; otherwise, read on.
How Do You Use Apple Pay At Walgreens?
Are you ready to check out at your Walgreens pharmacy with Apple Pay? First, have you set up Apple Pay on your iPhone or Apple Watch? If you have already completed the (quick) setup, you can skip to the later section; otherwise, read on.
How To Setup Apple Pay on Your iPhone or Apple Watch
To set up Apple Pay on your iPhone, go to the ‘Settings’ section and select ‘Wallet & Apple Pay.’
- Next, select ‘Add Card.’ Press ‘Continue’ and select the payment type you want to use. Add your credit card or debit card information by either holding your iPhone’s camera over your credit card until it successfully reads your credit card numbers, or you can enter the credit card details manually. Your choice.
- Now, agree to Apple’s terms and complete any required credit card verification steps.
- Your card will now be in your Apple Wallet App, and you are ready to use Apple Pay at the register.
To set up Apple Pay on your Apple Watch, you will need to use your linked iPhone to complete the process, so have it handy.
- Using your linked iPhone, open your ‘Apple Watch’ App.
- Next, tap ‘Wallet & Apple Pay.’
- Now, tap ‘Add Card’ and follow the instructions to add your preferred credit card to your Apple Watch’s digital wallet.
- Your Apple Watch is now ready to make contactless mobile payments!
iPhone inside Walgreens? How To Check Out with Apple Pay to Check Out
If you’re using an iPhone to pay for a purchase with Apple Pay at Whole Foods, follow these steps:
- First, double-click on your iPhone’s right side button.
- Next, look at your iPhone’s screen if you’re using Face ID, put your finger on the home sensor if you’re using Touch ID, or enter your passcode.
- Finally, hold your iPhone over the NFC-enabled card payment terminal, which is the machine you’d normally put your credit card inside. Keep holding it until you hear a ping, see a green checkmark on the payment reader, or see a checkmark plus the word ‘Done’ on your iPhone’s screen. After taking your receipt, you’re free to leave!
iPhone at the Walgreens Drive-Thru Pharmacy? How To Check Out with Apple Pay
- Double-click your iPhone’s right-side button.
- Next, look at your iPhone’s screen if you are using Face ID, put your finger on the home sensor if you are using Touch ID, or enter your passcode.
- Finally, hold your iPhone over the contactless point of sale reader, which is the machine you would normally put your credit card into. Keep holding it until you hear a ping, see a green checkmark on the payment reader, or see a checkmark plus the word ‘Done’ on your iPhone’s screen. That’s it!
Apple Watch inside Walgreens? How To Check Out with Apple Pay
To complete a transaction at a Walgreens location using your Apple Watch, follow these steps:
- First, double-tap the side button on the right of the dial.
- Next, enter your passcode if prompted.
- Finally, hold your Apple Watch over the contactless payment reader until the payment is complete. Now, take your receipt and head home!
Apple Watch at the Walgreens Drive-Thru Pharmacy? How To Check Out with Apple Pay
- Double-tap the side button on the right of the dial.
- Next, enter your passcode if prompted.
- Finally, hold your Apple Watch over the contactless payment reader until the payment is complete. That’s it!
Walgreens Mobile App: How To Check Out with Apple Pay
- Open the Walgreens mobile app, sign in, and choose your local Walgreens pharmacy location.
- Pick your items and add them to your cart
- Go to your shopping cart, review your items, and continue to payment.
- Choose ‘Apple Pay’ as your payment method.
- Enjoy your items!
MyWalgreens Rewards Members: How To Earn Walgreens Rewards with Apple Pay
Do you want to earn rewards for all your purchases at Walgreens when you use Apple Pay? Follow these steps, and you’ll earn rewards you can easily convert at Walgreens using the Walgreens card called ‘Balance Rewards Card.’
- (Optional): Sign up for MyWalgreens Rewards if you have not already.
- Open the Walgreens App and sign in to your rewards account.
- View the Walgreens Balance Rewards Card in the Walgreens mobile app.
- Tap ‘Add to Apple Wallet to add the loyalty card. You’re now set up to earn rewards for every Walgreens purchase.
- Earn Walgreens rewards every time you shop at Walgreens.
How To Use the Walgreens Balance Rewards Cards
If you want to earn rewards on your purchases, the MyWalgreens loyalty program works with Apple Pay too! Once you’ve earned the rewards, you’ll want to know how to spend them in Walgreens. That’s where we come in! Follow these steps to use your Walgreens Balance Rewards Card with Apple Pay.
- Open your Walgreens app.
- Select your Walgreens Balance Rewards Card and verify your identity using touch ID, face ID, or your passcode in the app.
- Hold your iPhone over the contactless card reader, which is the machine you normally put your credit card into. Keep holding it until you hear a ping, see a green checkmark on the payment reader, or see a checkmark plus the word ‘Done’ on your iPhone’s screen.
- This purchase was on Walgreens. Enjoy it; everything is better when it’s free!