Does Fred Meyer Take Apple Pay?
Fred Meyer & Apple Pay
Are you shopping for groceries at Fred Meyer? Apple Pay is a safe, convenient way to pay at grocery stores that accept it as a payment method. But, does Fred Meyer take Apple Pay?
Apple Pay is an easy-to-use, contactless payment method that works with your Apple devices like your Apple Watch and iPhone. You can use it in person at stores, through apps, or on the web. Gone are the days of waiting for change or having to use a dirty point-of-sale credit card reader. Apple Pay is a modern payment method for the modern world.
This article answers the question “Does Fred Meyer take Apple Pay” and explains how to use Apple Pay at grocery stores that accept it as a payment option.
What is Fred Meyer?
Fred Meyer is an American chain of big box stores selling groceries, home goods, electronics, sporting goods, and more. They’re a one-stop-shop and have a pharmacy too. They operate 134 locations and are owned by Kroger, which is the largest supermarket operator in the United States.
Fred Meyer is one of Kroger’s 13 grocery store brands. The other 12 are Kroger, Dillons, Food 4 Less, Fry’s, Harris Teeter, King Soopers, Mariano’s, QFC, Ralphs, Roundy’s, Ruler Foods, and Smiths.
Money-saving tip: The Fred Meyer weekly ad is full of deals, special offers, and new products. It’s updated weekly, so check it out before heading to the store.
Answered: Does Fred Meyer Take Apple Pay?
No, Fred Meyer does not take Apple Pay. Instead, they promote the Kroger Pay mobile app, which is their own contactless payment alternative that’s available in the App Store.
Here is an article confirming that Fred Meyer does not take Apple Pay.
What Payment Methods Does Fred Meyer’s Accept?
Since you can’t use Apple Pay at Fred Meyer, what are their accepted payment methods?
Payment Methods Accepted at Fred Meyer
- Fred Meyer Rewards World Mastercard
- Visa cards
- Discover cards
- American Express cards
- Debit cards
- Prepaid cards
- Fred Meyer gift cards
Why Doesn’t Fred Meyer Take Apple Pay?
The reason Fred Meyer doesn’t take Apple Pay is simple: Fred Meyer has its own mobile payment app called Kroger Pay that they want you to use instead of Apple Pay. Kroger’s mobile payment app lets them control their checkout experience while integrating Kroger’s loyalty card tracking.
Fred Meyer doesn’t want you using a competitor’s mobile payment option, like Apple Pay. Fred Meyer’s competitors might accept Apple Pay, but they can’t accept Kroger Pay. In their thinking, by using Kroger Pay, you’re less likely to shop at a different grocery store and more likely to install their app. Since mobile apps and contactless payment options are the wave of the future, Fred Meyer wants more control over their journey than Apple Pay would give them.
Fred Meyer’s & Kroger Pay
Now that you know that Fred Meyer doesn’t take Apple Pay, what are your contact-free payment options at Fred Meyer? Fred Meyer’s alternative to Apple Pay is ‘Kroger Pay’, which is available in the App Store.
What is Kroger Pay?
Kroger Pay app is a contactless payment solution. Using your mobile device, it lets you enter your preferred payment method, such as a credit/debit card, and combine it with your Fred Meyer loyalty card to earn rewards when you shop at Fred Meyer. When you’re ready to check out, use the Kroger Pay App to generate a unique QR code that lets you check out, contact-free. While it’s similar to Apple Pay and Google Pay, it can only be used at Fred Meyer and Kroger stores.
How to Use Apple Pay At Stores That Accept It?
Although Fred Meyer doesn’t take Apple Pay, plenty of other stores do. Ready to check out at a store that accepts Apple Pay?
First, have you set up Apple Pay on your iPhone or Apple Watch? If you already have set it up, you can skip to the later section; otherwise, read on.
How To Setup Apple Pay on Your iPhone or Apple Watch
To set up Apple Pay on your iPhone, go to the ‘Settings’ section and select ‘Wallet & Apple Pay’.
- Next, select ‘Add Card’. Press ‘Continue’ and select the payment type you want to use. Add your credit card or debit card details by either holding your iPhone over your credit card until it successfully reads your credit card numbers, or you can enter the credit card details manually. Your choice.
- Now, agree to Apple’s terms and complete any required credit card verification steps.
- Your card will now be in your Apple Wallet App and you are ready to use using Apple Pay.
To set up Apple Pay on your Apple Watch, you will need to use your linked iPhone to complete the process, so have it handy.
- Using your linked iPhone, open your ‘Apple Watch’ app.
- Next, tap ‘Wallet & Apple Pay’.
- Now, tap ‘Add Card’ and follow the instructions to add your preferred credit card to your Apple Watch’s Apple Pay.
iPhone? How To Use Apple Pay
If you’re using an iPhone to pay with Apple Pay follow these steps:
- First, double-click on your iPhone’s right side button.
- Next, look at your iPhone’s screen if you’re using Face ID, put your finger on the home sensor if you’re using Touch ID, or enter your passcode.
- Finally, hold your iPhone over the contactless point of sale reader, which is the machine you’d normally put your credit card into. Keep holding it until you hear a ping, see a green checkmark on the payment reader, or see a checkmark plus the word ‘Done’ on your iPhone’s screen. That’s it!
Apple Watch? How To Use Apple Pay
If you’re using an Apple Watch to pay with Apple Pay follow these steps:
- First, double-tap the side button on the right of the dial.
- Next, enter your passcode if prompted.
- Finally, hold your Apple Watch over the contactless payment reader until the payment is complete. That’s it!
It’s disappointing that Fred Meyer doesn’t accept Apple Pay. However, you can still pay with your phone at Fred Meyer using Kroger Pay.