Introduction to Costco
Costco operates a chain of membership-only big-box retail stores around the world. It’s common for their locations to have a cut-price fuel center with cheap gasoline and depending on the country, diesel. Costco is the 5th biggest retail company in the world by revenue with over 800 locations, 254,000 employees, and has stores in 12 countries.
Introduction to Apple Pay
Apple Pay is an easy-to-use, contactless payment method that works with your Apple devices like your Apple Watch and iPhone. You can use it in person at stores, through apps, or on the web. It’s a secure, safe way to make your payments. Gone are the days of waiting for change or having to use a credit card reader that thousands of other dirty cards have already been in. Apple Pay is a mobile payment method for the modern world.
But does Costco accept Apple Pay?
Does Costco Take Apple Pay?
Yes, Costco takes Apple Pay as a payment method inside their stores, Next time you shop at a Costco warehouse, check out with Apple Pay!
Here is confirmation straight from Costco that Apple Pay is accepted in their stores:
Does Costco Gas Take Apple Pay?
Unfortunately, Costco gas stations do not take Apple Pay in the United States. They do take the Citi Costco Anywhere Visa card, all other Visa cards, most debit cards with PINs, and Costco gift cards. American Express cards are not accepted.
The payment situation is different at Costcos outside of the United States, where some locations do accept Apple Pay. If you’re at a Costco gas station outside of the USA that supports Apple Pay, use your iPhone or Apple Watch to buy gas.
Does Costco.com Take Apple Pay?
Sadly, Costco.com does not take Apple Pay.
Do they accept Visa cards? If you’re ordering on Costco.com, you’ll need to check out with a Citi Costco Anywhere Visa card, any other Visa card, Visa Click to Pay, MasterCards, Discover Cards, JCB Cards, Diners Club Cards, most debit cards, and Costco gift cards. Just like in the store and at the gas station, American Express is not accepted.
How Do You Use Apple Pay At Costco?
Ready to check out at Costco using Apple Pay? First, have you set up Apple Pay on your iPhone or Apple Watch? If you already have set it up, you can skip to the later section; otherwise, read on.
How To Setup Apple Pay on Your iPhone or Apple Watch
To set up Apple Pay on your iPhone, go to the ‘Settings’ section and select ‘Wallet & Apple Pay’.
- Next, select ‘Add Card’. Press ‘Continue’ and select the payment type you want to use. Add your credit card or debit card details by either holding your iPhone over your credit card until it successfully reads your credit card numbers, or you can enter the credit card details manually. Your choice.
- Now, agree to Apple’s terms and complete any required credit card verification steps.
- Your card will now be in your Apple Wallet App and you are ready to use using Apple Pay.
To set up Apple Pay on your Apple Watch, you will need to use your linked iPhone to complete the process, so have it handy.
- Using your linked iPhone, open your ‘Apple Watch’ app.
- Next, tap ‘Wallet & Apple Pay’.
- Now, tap ‘Add Card’ and follow the instructions to add your preferred credit card to your Apple Watch’s Apple Pay.
iPhone? How To Use Apple Pay Inside Costco
If you’re using an iPhone to pay with Apple Pay at Costco follow these steps:
- First, double-click on your iPhone’s right side button.
- Next, look at your iPhone’s screen if you’re using Face ID, put your finger on the home sensor if you’re using Touch ID, or enter your passcode.
- Finally, hold your iPhone over the contactless point of sale reader, which is the machine you’d normally put your credit card into. Keep holding it until you hear a ping, see a green checkmark on the payment reader, or see a checkmark plus the word ‘Done’ on your iPhone’s screen. That’s it!
Apple Watch? How To Use Apple Pay Inside Costco
- First, double-tap the side button on the right of the dial.
- Next, enter your passcode if prompted.
- Finally, hold your Apple Watch over the contactless payment reader until the payment is complete. That’s it!